GARRETT COUNTY, MARYLAND

[County Seal, Garrett County, Maryland] Origin: Garrett County was created from Allegany County in 1872 (Chapter 212, Acts of 1872). It was the last Maryland county to be formed. The County was named for John Work Garrett (1820-1884), railroad executive, industrialist, and financier. Garrett served as president of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad from 1858 until his death in 1884.

County Seat: Oakland, MD 21550
Form of Government: County Commissioners
Population

1990 census: 28,138
2000 census: 29,846

  • Creeks
  • Islands
  • Mountains

    Budget

    Election Returns

    Executive Branch

    Judicial Branch

    Legislative Branch

    Municipalities

    Organizational Chart

    U.S. Government Agencies


    websites:
    Community College: www.gcc.cc.md.us
    County Commissioners: www.co.garrett.md.us/bocc/index.html
    County Government: www.co.garrett.md.us
    Economic Development Office: http://gcjobs.co.garrett.md.us
    Elections Board: www.co.garrett.md.us/elections/elections.html
    Emergency Management Office: www.co.garrett.md.us/em/index.html
    Health Dept.: www.garretthealth.org
    Library: www.sailor.lib.md.us/docs/libdir/garr.html
    Planning & Zoning Office: www.co.garrett.md.us/pandz/index.html
    Public Schools: www.ga.k12.md.us
    Roads Dept.: www.co.garrett.md.us/crd/index.html
    Sheriff: www2.gcnet.net/sheriff
    Social Services Dept.: www.dhr.state.md.us/garrett.htm

    Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
    Maryland Departments
    Maryland Independent Agencies
    Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
    Maryland Universities & Colleges
    Maryland Counties
    Maryland Municipalities
    Maryland at a Glance


    Maryland Manual On-Line

    Search the Manual
    e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

     Maryland Manual On-Line, 2002

    November 5, 2002   
    Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual

    Copyright November 06, 2002 Maryland State Archives