PENMAR DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION

BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Appointed by Board of County Commissioners, Washington County, to 4-year terms:
Brett R. Wilson, Chair (chosen by Board of Directors), 2004

J. Edward Beck, Jr.; Valerie P. Dick; Kenneth M. Jones; Christopher T. Kline; William J. Wivell. Terms expire 2003.

Howard B. Bowen; James A. LaFleur; Paula Lampton; Steven L. Swayne. Terms expire 2004.

Wayne E. Alter, Jr.; Regis F. Binder; Steven G. Hull; Thomas C. Newcomer; Terry L. Randall. Terms expire 2005.

Ex officio: David S. Iannucci, Secretary of Business & Economic Development; Hans F. Mayer, Executive Director, Maryland Economic Development Corp.; John C. Howard, Executive Director, Hagerstown - Washington County Economic Development Commission

Vacancy, Executive Director (chosen by Board of Directors)

Contact: Eileen B. Kerslake

P. O. Box 699
200 Castle Drive
Cascade, MD 21719 - 0699
(301) 241-4050, (301) 416-7669
e-mail: ekerslake@pmdcatlcc.com
fax: (301) 241-4141, (301) 416-7089


Annual Report to Governor, General Assembly, Dept. of Business & Economic Development, & Washington County Board of County Commissioners due by Sept. 30.

The PenMar Development Corporation was established as a public instrumentality of the State in May 1997 (Chapter 737, Acts of 1997). Its purpose is to develop Fort Ritchie for civilian uses. A military post located in the northeastern corner of Washington County, Maryland (near the Pennsylvania border), the Fort closed September 30, 1998.

Fort Ritchie began in 1926 as a brigade training area for the Maryland National Guard. Named to honor Governor Albert C. Ritchie, Camp Ritchie was activated in June 1942 as a Military Intelligence Training Center of the U.S. War Department. From 1945 to 1948, the post again was used as a training station for the Maryland National Guard. To support the Alternate Joint Communications Center in Pennsylvania, the U.S. Army acquired the Fort in 1948. Later, headquarters for the Communications Command Continental United States of the U.S. Army transferred from Alexandria, Virginia, to Fort Ritchie in 1971.

The PenMar Development Corporation is redeveloping the Fort Ritchie site as a corporate conference and training center. Plans include some residential development as well.

The Corporation's Board of Directors consists of eighteen members. Fifteen are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners of Washington County, Maryland. Three serve ex officio (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 5-1201 through 5-1210).

Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 2002

November 5, 2002   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright November 06, 2002 Maryland State Archives